This years 4th Annual JDRF Softball Tournament will be held at the Whitman Middle school. More details can be found here »
Thank you again to all of those that attended!! I couldn’t be more proud of all of the support we got!
Just a quick thank you for all those that helped make yesterday such a success!! Pictures to follow soon!!
This year’s tournament will be held at the Whitman Middle School in Whitman, MA at 10am on Saturday August 27th.
- Date: Saturday August 21, 2010
- All players on the team must sign a player waiver prior to the start of the first round
- No player under the age of 13. Players under the age of 18 will require parental consent and a waiver signed by a parent or guardian.
- Teams should pay tournament fees ($10/player) prior to the start of the first round
- Tournament is a 5-team, single elimination co-ed softball tournament (see bracket below).
- Teams will draw numbers (1-5) from a hat to determine seeding (see bracket below for seeds)
- First game starts promptly at 11am behind the Whitman Middle School in Whitman, MA
- All rounds (except the finals) will be limited to 1.5 hours. No inning will start after the 1.5 hour mark. If the game is still tied after 1.5 hours of play, a simple tie breaker will be implemented (coin flip?)
- There will be a 20 minute break between each round. This break will begin as soon as the last game in a round is complete.
- This is a family-friendly tournament with volunteer umpires. Please act responsibly and respect the umpires, players and volunteers. Umpire calls are final.
- No alcoholic beverages on school grounds
- Field rules (fowl line, home run line, etc) will be defined by the umpires prior to the start of each game.
- 7-inning games. All innings must begin prior to the 1.5 hour mark
- 3 outs per side per inning
- Balls and strikes will be called by the umpire. Each batter will have 4 balls and 3 strikes.
- 8 run rule per inning, last inning unlimited runs
- Each team must field 2 female players in each defensive inning. If 2 females are not available, the team can only field 8 players on defense (9 if one female is available). For each missing female, an out will be given during their would-be at-bat. In other words, if no females are available for a team, 2 outs every 10 batters will be automatic (1 out every 10 batters if one female is available).
- Slow-pitch softball implies a slow pitch arch of 8-12 feet
- No bunting
- No leading
- No stealing
- No sliding – bases can be “run through”, meaning as long as you do not turn towards the next base you can run through any base (just like first base).
So we are getting closer to the 2nd Annual Softball Tournament! This year it’s bigger! Last year we had 4 teams and it turned out pretty good, but this year we have made it a little bigger, with 8 teams, 6 of which we definitely have already and I think one more is in the making! It should be a good time and I can’t wait for it! Pictures will of course follow!
This year will be our fifth year of doing the walk! I can’t believe it! It feels like we just started yesterday! It’s been a struggle trying to get everything together, but I think we’ve done pretty good figuring it all out. Last year we raise over $2,500, which was our highest total ever! This year, with the softball tournament and other fund raisers, we are hoping to raise much more! The pictures are from 2006, which would have been our first year walking!